The key here is the TextIndexNG product. Here are the steps to take (from doc/README):
Installation on Plone:
- follow the steps above
- uncommented all directives in TextIndex3/adapters/configure.zcml (by
removing the HTML comments ''
- go to "Plone setup" -> "Add/remove programs"
- choose TextIndexNG3 to be added as new product
- a new configlet for TextIndexNG3 will appear on the setup screen (left
- click on the configlet and choose the only option to replace the
existing index setup with TextIndexNG3 indexes
It's worth noting that you may replace the first two steps by:
- (possibly, first virtualenv your zope instance)
- easy_install "Products.TextIndexNG3<3.2"
About converters: on Ubuntu you might use wvWare (apt-get install wv) for MS-Word and xpdf for PDF. See http://www.zopyx.de/projects/TextIndexNG3/documentation/external-converters.